For this dish I tried to re-create one of my favourite dishes from my local ramen shop in Japan, “Mazesoba” (まぜそば)! Although this dish traditionally uses soba noodles, I didn’t have any readily available to I decided to substitute them with udon noodles.

For some context, “Mazesoba” is somewhat similar to ramen but with different noodles and without any broth. Instead of having broth you have a wide variety of toppings such as bean sprouts, shredded cheese, green onion, protein (pork, beef, chicken, tofu, etc), minced garlic and ginger, and a raw egg cracked on top. As per the name (which translates to “mixed soba”), you then mix all the ingredients together and you’re ready to eat!

While I found udon noodles to be a decent substitute, I definitely prefer soba noodles are they are significantly thinner and do not texturally overpower the other ingredients as much as udon noodles.

Overall, despite the udon noodles, I’m very happy with how the flavours turned out and I would 100% make this again!

Nutrition information:

• Udon noodles: ~40-70g carbs (depends on the type, please refer to the nutrition information on your noodle package)

Total: 40-70g carbs depending on your udon noodles